June 28, 2011

The First Haircut

Technically, this is the 'first' haircut, she did have a minor trim when she was around 18 months...but, this is the first MAJOR haircut for sure!!

Paxtin has always had TONS and TONS of hair. She was the only baby in the hospital nursery who had to have their hair shampooed (not just with a wet washcloth sponging it--- actually washed, everyday.) I think the nurses secretly loved it because she would have several different bows on throughout our four day stay there. =)

Her first two years-her hair didn't really grow all that fast. But it did grow. She never lost a bit of hair-and she always had little girl hair, never baby fine, wispy hair. It was thick and had pretty curls. She just had the best hair.

This past year, her hair has been on steroids, I swear. It grew so fast and got so long! I look at pictures of her from last summer and her hair was just past her shoulders. Before this cut, when her hair was wet, it was to her bottom. NO LIE. It touched her bottom!! Her only saving grave was that it had a little curl-but, the longer it got the more stringy it looked to me. She was always wanting it put up, it was hot, and it was always something she was pushing out of the way.



SO, I asked my dad (who's a hairdresser) to give her a trim. I meant a good bit, but he cut about 1/4"....MAYBE. You couldn't even tell!! So, I thought-I will take matters into my own hands. I wanted her hair at least to her shoulders again. How hard could that be? Straight across!

I happen to have a pair of barber scissors (perks of being a hairdresser's daughter, I guess) and after her shower, I got to it. I eyeballed where I wanted to cut it and away I went. BUT-it's literally like my hand and my brain didn't coordinate AT ALL. I cut off probably 7 inches, at least. WHOOPSIE. So, what can you do? I had to keep going. Cody started freaking out, telling me I didn't know what I was doing, which I didn't. I have never sweated so much in my life.

After about 30 minutes, tons of side glances from my husband, and a shot of whiskey...I was done. I had a few trims to make the next morning, but I think it turned out SO CUTE. I mean, who do you know (that isn't a hairdresser) that could just cut their kids' hair??? I'll chalk this up as a lesson learned. I will most definitely not be pressing my luck to cut it again.






Since I did this at home and my HAIRDRESSER dad didn't, I was SO scared to show him. I knew he would be mad...he likes Paxtin's hair long. But, to my surprise, HE LOVED IT!! My mom LOVED IT! Everyone who has seen it LOVES IT!! I may have a future career...

or not. ; ) I bet people wouldn't appreciate me shooting whiskey and sweating bullets while I trim their hair.

=)

No comments:

life according to Lambie