May 25, 2011

Bed on the Floor




So...my kid sleeps on the floor. :/ Let me give you the story.

About a month ago or so, we took away her passy. She actually did REALLY well, at first. Then she kind of missed it and had a hard time being alone in her room alone. Or so I thought-turns out she was getting very scared and possibly having night terrors?? I was unfamiliar with this until a few mommy friends on Facebook informed me that their kids went through this at about age 3, too. And then it kind of made sense. We could not figure out why she was screaming bloody murder, but it was clearly not an 'I want attention' scream...

We tried EVERYTHING. We patted her bottom...and that would sometimes take hours. Wasn't going to do that. Night time is the only alone time I get with my husband, other than weekends and I can't give that up. We then thought we would try sleeping in her floor...taking turns until she fell asleep. Again, NOT. A. GOOD. IDEA. I kind of thought it wouldn't work, but someone suggested it and I was at my wits end. She was to the point of falling asleep at midnight or later...waking up three hours later screaming. We finally just put her in our bed a few nights.

It finally came down to letting her choose what she wanted to do...within reason. She chose her floor. I tried to put up a fight, but she seemed content to sleep there and she actually SLEPT there, so I was over it. I made her a pallet in the floor, got her whatever babies she needed to feel comfortable and we left her door open. She cried it out the first few nights, but she never came out of her room. And then she just got over it!

Who knows how long she plans to sleep in the floor. I guess maybe from sleeping in the floor (on a mat) at school, she's used to it?? In that case, she will be sleeping there until Kindergarten!! Her school does nap time all the way through Pre-K. (Thank goodness...she HAS to have her naps) And it is state law to have an hour nap time in all care centers in Arkansas. It could be awhile before she wants to get back in her bed!! OH WELL!!

=)

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I've been a follower for a while but have never commented.

This post made me giggle! Isn't it so funny what makes kids happy and content?

I have a 2 1/2 (closer to 3) year old boy who is ATTACHED to his 'D' or binkie. He only gets it when he is napping or bedtime. I'm scared to break him of this only because he also needs his naps and I don't want not having his binkie to effect that.

Do you think you could do a post on how you 'broke' the habbit?

life according to Lambie